Re: doesn't the session splash disappear too soon?

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 10:07 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:

> Well, I usually don't give up on my system unless I've been waiting for
> 10 seconds or more. I can't actually find any example of another desktop
> system (other than KDE) that has a splash screen between login and
> presenting the desktop.

Indeed.  One option might be to show the splash at first login (after
installation or a major upgrade), and after that, only show it if it
took more than 10 seconds or so to get to a usable desktop the last time
(assuming we can somehow sensibly detect when the desktop becomes
"usable").  Although admittedly that might prompt bug reports from users
whose machines were on the cusp of that 10 second boundary, who would
see the splash screen sometimes and not others... so maybe you'd need to
use a range rather than a hard threshold, and/or average the last three
login times or something :)

I've always believed that the splash graphic should be used in the
gnome-about window anyway (with the credits and other links accessible
in a way more consistent with a regular application's About window), so
the user should be able to look at it whenever they feel the need.

Cheeri,
Calum.