Re: external dependencies; trolling for more feedback, pushing to make it official ; -)

J�Thank you for introducing me to yet another GNU/Linux distro. Variety
and innovation are things I truly love about the open source movement.

The issue with HAL-0.5.8.x is one of timing. David jumped the gun by
removing the source code for libvolume_id from HAL. Had he waited a few
months, or rolled up the libvolume_id source into a separate tarball,
there would have never been an issue.

I am currently running HAL-0.5.8.1 within GARNOME-2.16.x on a PPC
running YDL-4.1 [an FC4 clone]. In order to build HAL, I built udev-100
in a "sandbox" within the GARNOME build environment and manually
extracted the necessary libvolume_id bits. At that time, I noted that I
could automate the extraction process since GARNOME framework supports
"custom" configure, build, and install targets.

As to your suggestion on how to proceed... We do think alike [:-)].
Since there has been such a fuss raised over who should or should not
build libvolume_id, I have revisited automating the extraction of the
libvolume_id bits from udev. A GAR makefile to accomplish this is shown
below.  David, as well as others within the community, should be
pleased.

Time to move on. There will be other dragons to slay.

Kind regards,

-Joseph

[GAR makefile to biuld and install libvolume_id bits from udev]

GARNAME = udev
GARVERSION = 100
CATEGORIES = freedesktop
DISTFILES = $(GARNAME)-$(GARVERSION).tar.gz

MASTER_SITES = http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/

DESCRIPTION = libvolume_id
define BLURB
Build and extract the libvolume_id bits from udev.
endef

BUILD_SCRIPTS = custom
INSTALL_SCRIPTS = custom

CONFIGURE_ARGS = $(DIRPATHS)