Re: external dependencies; trolling for more feedback, pushing to make it official ; -)

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 20:34 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> The hal/udev dependencies need to be resolved before moving on to
> hal-0.5.8.x

Joseph, I have several times asked you in private mails we've exchanged,
why GARNOME cannot pull in the udev tarball for libvolume_id if you want
to build HAL. I have even Cc'ed the udev maintainer if you had requests
for changes in udev to make this easier for you. You have not come up
with any concrete complaints. I am again Cc'ing Kay so he can help
explain things if you have questions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am not going to carry
libvolume_id in the HAL tarball until damn good reasons for doing so are
raised. Why? Because said library reads data from untrusted sources
(file systems) and as such I would be obligated to send out security
updates if I was carrying the code.

Thus, I believe the socalled "hal/udev dependencies" to be a non-issue
until valid complaints are raised.

Have a nice day.

    David