Re: Proposal for LAT inclusion in GNOME 2.18

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 22:56 +0200, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Well, either providing wrong "facts" or absolutely outdated information
> doesn't make your argumentation well-founded.

I started out with, "I believe that.." and "last time I used...". At
least to me, there is some implication in those phrases that I'm
acknowledging I don't have the latest update to date facts.

I also used phrases like "GQ was.." and "I don't think GQ does that".
The only outright claim I made was GQ didn't support avahi and NM. If
I'm wrong about that, then I'm sorry.

When Ross responded again he pointed out that I was wrong abut it being
maintained and I didn't argue with about it.

Anyway, it's just a misunderstanding. It's all good now.

> But as I don't follow yours either I have one question: to me your
> application doesn't look like a "General LDAP client" but an "User
> Management based on an LDAP Directory", it that impression right or does it
> serve a general purpose (eg. administrating web server settings, mail
> accounts, computer configurations, setting installed software on computers)?
>
> If not, why not just create the proper backend for the Gnome System Tools
> user management tool?

It was written to be a general purpose LDAP client. But I also wanted to
easier to use ways to do some of the common tasks. Initially that ended
up being: Users, Groups, Computers and Contacts.

Obviously the users/groups stuff is geared towards user management. The
Computers view is host/dns information. The Contacts not really user
management, I guess it depends on how you use it.

Those views and their dialogs are plugins. So you can have more. Anyone
could write one. Those are just the four I happened to start with.

You can also use the browser to edit any entry in the directory and set
any attribute. You have the schema browser and search too. That's just
LDAP stuff. That's the same kind of stuff you have in GQ too.

--
Loren Bandiera <lorenb mmgsecurity com>
MMG Security, Inc.