Re: Proposal for LAT inclusion in GNOME 2.18

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 12:14 -0400, Loren Bandiera wrote:
> I don't believe GQ has been maintained in a few years. Last time I used
> GQ it was a Gtk+ 1.0 application. That's two big advantages right there.

From http://gq-project.org/:

September 3rd, 2006: GQ 1.1.1
        The GQ project has released a new version of the popular LDAP
        client. This release contains several new features compared to
        the 1.0.x packages.

It has a new maintainer now.

> Anyway, mostly GQ was a just browser. LAT has that too but it also has
> different views which are designed to make things easier. You can add
> users, groups, and contacts without having to worry about objectClasses
> and what not.

Cool.

> It also supports Samba. It can populate your directory for the initial
> setup. For existing users, you can make them samba users with by
> clicking on a check box. I don't think GQ does that.
>
> There is support for doing mass edits. GQ doesn't support avahi or
> NetworkManager.

I presume by "supports avahi" you mean it can discover LDAP servers
using Avahi?  What does "support NetworkManager" actually mean?

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./