Re: gnome-system-monitor (temporarily) reverted to gnome-2-16 for GNOME 2.17.x

On 10/27/06, Benoît Dejean <benoit placenet org> wrote:
        Please don't do that. I'm very disappointed : why haven't you talk to
me before doing that ? I would have explained. I was about to ask for
help for autotools...

It's only temporary, and warning was already given that we'd do
this[1].  We can again use CVS HEAD once this issue is fixed and you
agree to try to keep it buildable.

        I'm working on a new feature and as my changelog entry suggested, this
is a work in progress. pcre dependency would be optional.

Making it optional would be fine.  Alternatively, you can just respond
to this email and state that you'd like to propose pcre as an external
dependency (if you do that, we simply wait a little while and if no
one objects then we add it to the official list).

For future reference, please note that dependencies should be approved
or made optional before making HEAD depend on them.

        So unless gnome provides a decent Verson Control System (that would
allow me to often commit my work (instead of doing big commits)), i'll
continue to work this way. This CVS version was never meant to be
released and i would have fixed it before releasing any 2.17.x. This is
my development branch, it is often broken.

??

We *really* messed up if we didn't make it crystal clear that this is
against policy for modules part of the GNOME release set.  CVS HEAD
(or whatever branch is intended for use in the next GNOME release)
should be buildable and dogfoodable at all times.  If you want to
break things, you should work on a branch and then merge the changes
to HEAD when you have things working.

        Your revert just makes my little job harder : CVS sucks and it might be
hard for me to re-revert.

I'm not following you.

GRegex would depend on pcre AFAIK. And this is exactly why i used pcre
because i knew about GRegex. Btw, I wouldn't use GRegex because pcrecpp
is just fine. GRegexmm anyone ?

Sounds like this problem may have been based on a bit of a
misunderstanding, so let me point out a couple things:  GRegex is not
yet part of glib, CVS HEAD of glib is not yet relevant to GNOME
anyway[2] and if glib were to add a new external dependency without
first proposing it on this list then I'd take them to task too
(especially since Matthias helped push the new external dependencies
rules[3]).  ;-)  I can't imagine them proposing a dependency that
other developers would oppose, but it is a necessary step for us to
make building and developing on GNOME sane again.

I'm not suggesting anything.

Why not?

Cheers,
Elijah

[1] http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies,
which was discussed on this list earlier.
[2] GNOME 2.18 is depending on gtk-2-10 and glib-2-12 since Matthias
suggested (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-September/msg00141.html)
to wait until GNOME 2.20 to depend on newer GTK+.
[3] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-September/msg00219.html