Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 11:41 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > I'm thinking of decent genre support, so multiple genre tags per song
> > (as supported in Ogg).  If a song has Song.Genre="Post Rock,Ambient" and
> > I search for "rock", will the substring search incorrectly match the
> > song?
>
> Yes it will unfortunately - hopefully these corner cases wont be too common

I had a look at Beagle to see what it does.  It allows the index to
store multiple data items for each keyword.  For example from the email
filter:

using (GMime.InternetAddressList addrs = this.message.GetRecipients (GMime.RecipientType.To)) {
	foreach (GMime.InternetAddress ia in addrs)
		AddProperty (Property.NewKeyword ("fixme:to", ia.ToString ());
	}
}

Note how each person listed in the To: field of the email is added to
the index as a separate entry, so that searches like "receipient ends
with foo.com" would work correctly.  The same feature would allow
multiple artists per song and so on.

I do wonder why nobody has taken a fast database-backed RDF triple store
(from librdf), put a sparql-based frontend on it for queries (again from
librdf) and used re-used a lot of code from both Beagle and Tracker for
harvesting the metadata...

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./