Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Ross Burton wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 11:20 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
Not being able to handle multiplicative metadata would make some things
very awkward. For example what should happen with music that has
multiple artists? I think that supporting multiple values for a piece of
metadata, and being able to match any of them would be important for
both the indexing side, and the first-class object side.
its not a problem if we store multiple values as a commas separated list (the values in question would have to be strings)

the fulltext index breaks up strings into individual words and indexes those words so theres no loss of functionality there.

Substring searches are supported in our rdf query implementation so you will be able to search inside them

Substring searches that respect the fact that the particular data its
looking at is CSV?  What if the value itself contains commas, will they
be escaped?

I'm thinking more along the lines of using semicolons now as they are less common in metadata

I'm thinking of decent genre support, so multiple genre tags per song
(as supported in Ogg).  If a song has Song.Genre="Post Rock,Ambient" and
I search for "rock", will the substring search incorrectly match the
song?

Yes it will unfortunately - hopefully these corner cases wont be too common

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/