Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 00:07 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Jamie McCracken">
> >
> >> t-s-t uses the same code as g-s-t so it inherits the working code. Its a
> >> better search tool because it can show search snippets like google as well
> >> as providing high speed search.
> >
> > And it does so by using... Tracker? Which means you're not just proposing
> > t-s-t, but the Tracker indexer and database? You really need to start being
> > clear now.
>
> yes we are proposing the lot - sorry for any confusion there

One question (sorry for my ignorance): Does the replacement of g-s-t by
t-s-t mean that in order to search files, the tracker deamon needs to be
running?  If I use the search tool without the deamon running, will it
still fall back to the current search method?  Or will it start the
deamon?  What about if the metadata database is empty (running t-s-t for
the first time without running the tracker indexer)?  If no results are
returned (searching for anything), I'm guessing there will be a few bug
reports and frustrated users.  I know the first few times I ran beagle
(sorry for the comparison!), the indexer hadn't finished doing its thing
and some files I was looking for were missing (which frustrated me no
end).

Don