Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

<quote who="Jamie McCracken">

> As this stage I am simply proposing tracker-search-tool as a replacement
> for the gnome-search-tool as I believe it does a better job with faster
> instant search and search snippets.

That was not entirely clear from previous emails in this thread. In that
case, please explain *what* t-s-t is, what t-s-t *does* and *why* t-s-t is
so important that we should replace working code with it. Those are the
things people need to know, not that you believe it does a better, faster,
fitter, healthier, more productive job.

> It would be fantastic for Gnome 2.18 to have this around the time Vista
> ships and with a common dbus interface for indexing, Beagle too can
> benefit by effectively being in too for those that want more indexing than
> tracker currently provides (I dont plan on indexing as much as Beagle or
> maybe Strigi so there is bound to be room for them too).

So, if Tracker doesn't do indexing as a priority, and doesn't cover similar
ground to Beagle, why are you positioning it as a choice? Why don't we just
use Beagle, which has already shipped with various distributions?

- Jeff

      "Love never misses the chance to put the boot in." - Kelly, SLOU