Re: [ANNOUNCE] GtkUnique 0.1.0 - Single Instance Application library

Hi Richard;

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 21:56 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 19:23 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > Unfortunately, hacking on libguniqueapp required pretty much the
> > rewrite of the whole build environment; the current code base needed
> > some cleaning up and some new feature I intended to add required a
> > revision of the whole IPC protocol.  Thus, I preferred to create a
> > whole new library from scratch, called GtkUnique, but keeping the API
> > pretty much the same.
>
> It sounds like your the maintainer for the new module - which is
> fantastic - we've been needing something actively developed like
> guniqueapp for a while now.
>
> Is this being proposed for gnome 2-17? I can see lots of apps
> (gnome-power-manager, evolution, epiphany etc.) optionally depending on
> this, and it would be shame to #ifdef the whole thing. Or do we just
> roll this into GTK+ proper for the next release?

While GtkUnique has been written conforming to most of the GTK+ coding
style and layout I don't know whether the folks on the GTK+ team want a
GtkUniqueApp object for 2.12; nevertheless, the API is pretty much
ready, and inclusion would take little to no time.  There's also the
optional dependency on D-Bus that should be considered.

In the meantime an external dependency on gtkunique-1.0 could be the
solution - or dropping gtkunique directly inside a project, even if it
means ripping it out if, or when, it lands in GTK+.

External dependencies must be confirmed by the release team and must be
targeted against a defined version, AFAIR; so, if I'm able to release a
GtkUnique 1.0 by the end of the month, and the release team accepts the
external dependency, applications can depend on it (if I'm on crack,
Elijah or Vincent can hit me with a clue-by-four at this point :-)).

> The library looks well put together, and very complete - nice one!

Thanks, even though all the hard work on the requirements was done by
Vytas this summer. ;-)  Still needs some polishing, though, and the
bacon backend is yet to be finished.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--