Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

2006-10-19 klockan 11:32 skrev Ross Burton:
> On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 10:12 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > It also has fully extensible metadata and a desktop wide tag/keyword
> > database so apps can use it to store all their metadata about any first
> > class object (also kind of nice for integrating with the new G-VFS
> > metadata handling)
>
> But the "extensible metadata" isn't really extendable is it.  If I add a
> new type Foo.Title, and then ask the tracker to search for a string in
> titles, Foo.Title won't be searched.  I have to wait for the Foo.Title
> tag to be incorporated into the specification and the UI tools updated,
> which makes it useless for indexing custom metadata.
>
> Also, if I search for "created by ross" how does the system need to know
> that it should search File.Publisher, Audio.Artist, Audio.Performer,
> Doc.Author and Image.Creator?  The naming scheme here is inconsistant
> and redundant.

Although I admin not having looked into Tracker in great detail, I'm under
the impression this is just a poor man's RDF-like [1] implementation that
hits exactly the problems the Semantic Web standards are to solve in a
well-defined and (imho) correct way.

Regarding ontologies, why is this "metadata spec" not just Dublin Core [2]
with additional properties for visual resources (audio and vide) from AVR
[3] and EXIF? The metadata spec seems a very ad-hoc list of properties to
me.

Btw, I really dislike the word "tagging", which implies freeform
annotations. In RDF speak: those annotations are just one single (anonymous)
property only supporting literal values.

  mvrgr, Wouter

[1] Or RDF, RDFS and OWL for that matter.
[2] http://dublincore.org/
[3] http://www.vraweb.org/ and especially http://www.vraweb.org/vracore3.htm
--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

hold your breath :: count to ten :: fall apart :: start again     -- placebo