Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Murray Cumming wrote:
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 03:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
Hi,

We have just released a new stable version of tracker (0.5.0) which can be found here:

http://www.gnome.org/~jamiemcc/tracker/tracker-0.5.0.tar.bz2

I would like to propose this for inclusion into Gnome 2.18 as its now been well tested and should be stable enough.

Tracker is being developed by a growing community of volunteers to create the best and most efficient desktop search, extensible metadata server and next generation first class object database all in 100% C code.

"next generation first class object database" sounds a bit like buzzword
bingo to me. Can you be a bit clearer? I don't meant to be discouraging
- I just want you to tell us about the good stuff.

tracker is not just an indexer but a complete database for first class objects. It can behave for example as a common music database for apps like rhythmbox where a dbus api can provide easy to use methods for retrieving and querying all music files indexed (you cant ask a dedicated indexer for example to get a list of all unique artists but you can with tracker).

It also has fully extensible metadata and a desktop wide tag/keyword database so apps can use it to store all their metadata about any first class object (also kind of nice for integrating with the new G-VFS metadata handling)

Its similiar to BEos tracker in this regard although more powerful (but not extreme crack like WinFS!)

It also bears some similiarity to the old gnome storage project (although files themselves are not stored in the DB or anything like that but other entities can be)

It can provide persistent storage for other objects like notes, emails (kill off mbox files!) people (replace EDS?) , appointments etc where each object is fully extensible as above with metadata, keywords and inter-relationships.

So to sum up it provides infrastructure for the following:

1) Storage of first class objects
2) Indexing of first class objects
3) Extensible objects with unlimited app/user definable metadata and keywords
4) Nice dbus api for applicable methods for all first class objects

I intend to make first use of this first class object facility by creating a new bookmarks/history database for epiphany as well as said music database for Rhytmbox et al.

If it cant be accepted as a new module for whatever reason then I would like to add it as a dependency to Gnome so I can incorporate the epiphany bookmark/history database during 2.18

Tracker now comes with a new GUI tool - Tracker search tool which is based on the source of Gnome search tool and if accepted it should replace this.

Is there Nautilus integration? It wouldn't make much sense to add this
if it wasn't used for Nautilus.

We've had both nautilus and deskbar integration since pretty much the first release (ie almost 9 months ago)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/