Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Ross Burton wrote:
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 10:12 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
It also has fully extensible metadata and a desktop wide tag/keyword database so apps can use it to store all their metadata about any first class object (also kind of nice for integrating with the new G-VFS metadata handling)

But the "extensible metadata" isn't really extendable is it.  If I add a
new type Foo.Title, and then ask the tracker to search for a string in
titles, Foo.Title won't be searched.  I have to wait for the Foo.Title
tag to be incorporated into the specification and the UI tools updated,
which makes it useless for indexing custom metadata.

not true. The spec is a guide only so for example ryhthmbox could know in advance what metadata types should be there. There could be others of course and it can be introspected but a spec is needed to define default types only.

All metadata types in tracker are treated equally so they can all be used in searching (if defined as indexable) and rdf query.

In the UI, we will add support for metadata searching including custom types in the next version.

Also, if I search for "created by ross" how does the system need to know
that it should search File.Publisher, Audio.Artist, Audio.Performer,
Doc.Author and Image.Creator?  The naming scheme here is inconsistant
and redundant.

If we were a dedicated search tool then yes but we are a metadata DB as well so we need specific metadata names as Audio.Artist and Aduio.Performer can contain different values and we might want to only search one of those fields.

The searching of specific metadata in tracker is fine grained (and thats an advantage in my book) but we can do more coarse ones by combining the fine grained ones.

Because with RDF query we can create more coarse searches, its easy for a UI to do a "search by created" by OR'ing toegther the fine grained ones. In fact we will have to do this in the next version of our GUI as we can only expose perhaps 12 common types and maybe have an "other..." one that opens a popup for less common and custom ones.

We need to keep the gui simple yet powerful enough for more advanced users like yourself so please let me know of any suggestions you have for amalgamating these types of searches -they are easy to implement.

Also, you appear to be subsetting and generalising existing ontologies.
Your Image.* types somewhat map to a subset of EXIF but how did you
decide what EXIF tags should be included?    Why didn't you include
exposure compensation?  Why only Image.Date when EXIF defines three
different Date fields (taken, digitized, edited IIRC)?  Also note that
EXIF dates are in local time so don't have any timezone information, so
they won't fit into a datetime type.

We can quibble about an odd metadata field not being present ad infinitum and its unlikely we will have all possible values by default in the spec but it does not matter as such because tracker is extensible so theres no limit in adding extra items in future.

You are also welcome to patch our exif extractor with other fields you think are really needed.

Also note that other specs like OS/X spotlight only include a subset see http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/Reference/CommonAttrs.html

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/