Re: Introducing NewStuffManager

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Shahms King wrote:
Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 21:10 +0200, Sebastian Pölsterl wrote:
>> Lastly. RPM or deb files aren't internationalized either.
> > I didn't know RPM and deb weren't internationalized. If that's
> the case, I think that's a very poor decision on the parts of
> those developers.  Both of them contain a lot of information
> that should be translated into the user's language.

Woah there. I can't say for debs, but RPM files most assuredly are internationalized. There are some oddities with encodings but packagers

Yeah, so far for the theory. In practice however no-one cares enough. I
think that's what he was refering to.

can provide locale dependent descriptions (and, I *think* summaries). Fedora, at least, requires that spec files be written using US-ASCII when possible and UTF-8 otherwise, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to write specfiles in other encodings, as problematic as that might be.

--Shahms

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."