Re: Introducing NewStuffManager

Shaun McCance wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 21:10 +0200, Sebastian P�erl wrote:
Shaun McCance wrote:
I have some comments and questions after reading that
page.  Mind you, I haven't downloaded NewStuffManager
or dug into it.  I'm going off of what you've described
on the web page.

The repository XML files contain human-readable strings,
like the name element.  From the RNG scheme, it doesn't
appear these can be localized using the standard xml:lang
attribute.

I must admit didn't think of i18n or l10n at all.

But I don't think it's a good idea to internationalize the repository's
XML file.
Especially the name element. Can you really translate the name of a plugin?
Furthermore, it would be lot of work to translate all the stuff for a big
repository and contents can change often. So you would need to translate
the file over and over again.
Lastly. RPM or deb files aren't internationalized either.

I didn't know RPM and deb weren't internationalized.  If that's
the case, I think that's a very poor decision on the parts of
those developers.  Both of them contain a lot of information
that should be translated into the user's language.

Woah there. I can't say for debs, but RPM files most assuredly are internationalized. There are some oddities with encodings but packagers can provide locale dependent descriptions (and, I *think* summaries). Fedora, at least, requires that spec files be written using US-ASCII when possible and UTF-8 otherwise, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to write specfiles in other encodings, as problematic as that might be.

--Shahms