Re: Proposal: NetworkManager for GNOME 2.18.

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 17:39 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 12:30 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 11:24 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> >
> > > Are you then proposing three separate tarball releases?
> > > Would you then split NM into three separate CVS modules?
> > > Where would each of those modules live?  (I can't imagine
> > > KDE being excited about KNetworkManager being hosted on
> > > Gnome CVS.)
> >
> > I don't think separate tarball releases are necessary, although that is
> > something we can discuss if its a requirement for GNOME merging.
> >
> > (KNetworkManager is already a separate release.)
> >
> > Right now both the applet and daemon live in GNOME CVS and are released
> > together.
>
> That's fine by me, but that's not the impression I got from
> your original proposal.  You said you're asking to merge just
> nm-applet, and making the daemon an external dependency.  To
> me, that implies that they're separate packages.

Agreed. Having them the same tarball also implies that only nm-applet
isn't the part in the GNOME desktop, but the daemon is also. There
can't be new releases of the applet, without the daemon, in the current
situation. I don't see any reason to not split the applet out. Distros
already split it out into a -gnome package. It would allow releases
when they are needed, without requiring daemon releases. I'm all for
nm-applet being in the desktop release, but I don't see any need to
require the daemon being pulled in too. And I agree with JP about the
online/offline detection/querying being a platform API. We shouldn't
have all our apps building the same dbus query over and over. There
should be a signal and nice API for determining online vs. offline.

-- dobey