Re: gnome-power-manager and battstat-applet

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 01:07:22AM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> In 2-15 we discussed including *both* gnome-power-manager and
> battstat-applet in the release but I don't think we came to any hard
> decisions.
>
> Now, with the greater integration of gnome-power-manager into other
> desktop components, my opinion is we should drop battstat-applet from
> the release. I think it's done a great job for many years, but I think
> most (all?) distros are shipping g-p-m by default now (rather than the
> applet) and having the applet as an option is superfluous.
>
> So, has anybody got any good reasons (or use-cases) for not doing so? I
> think it's safe to assume that anybody using gnome 2.17.x uses HAL[1].

Placing these sorts of items in the notification really is an abuse
of what it's for. I've spoken extensively on this topic.

The new applets API will allow applets to be programmatically
started (like notification icons). This should allow us to bridge
the best of both worlds.

Might also improve things for Tomboy, Gossip and all those other
applications that experience this problem.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA