Re: Intellectual Property Plugins and GNOME

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 15:43 -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:26:59 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > Here at Sun, we have been talking with Fluendo about licensing these
> > plugins.  As you can imagine, it is fairly expensive to acquire a
> > license that allows a vendor to freely ship these plugins (as opposed
> > to a per-use license).
> [..]
> > Perhaps Microsoft and Fluendo would find it interesting to work a
> > license with the GNOME community
> Such a license would violate any of the ideals that we stand for.

I agree with Ronald (though violate is overstating it :)) that this
should not be done by the GNOME foundation as such.  It would make sense
for a group of distributions to team up in some form to do this - but
the GNOME Foundation should be about Free Software.

(For those of you like me that didn't get Brian's original mail - he was
asking what people think about the possibility of some distributors
giving money to the GNOME foundation so that the GNOME foundation could
pay the license fees for proprietary codecs)