Re: Baobab

Hi Davyd,

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 10:35 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 17:47 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Emmanuele Bassi">
> >
> > > The GNOME Utilities package is a small package that GNOME has kept since
> > > the 1.x era (and before); it provides some application other than baobab,
> > > like the screenshoter, the file search dialog, the dictionary and the
> > > system log viewer, that are not sufficiently big to warrant their own
> > > package but at the same time are considered part of the basic offering of
> > > GNOME itself.
> >
> > I think Davyd's question was more about whether Baobab (or its function) is
> > suitable to be considered part of the basic offering of GNOME itself. I am
> > not convinced it should be there myself.
>
> As Jeff said. This smacks of KDE/GNOME 1.2 feature creep.

Yeap, from four utilities (a dictionary client, a file search tool, a
system log viewer and a screenshooter) we passed to five.  Surely this
reminds me of gnome-utils in the 1.x days.

Let's see what was in gnome-utils in the Glorious Days of 1.2:

cromagnon
edit-menus
find-file
gcalc
gcharmap
gdialog
gdict
gdiskfree
gfloppy
gnome-find
gnome-utils.spec.in
gsearchtool
gstripchart
gtt
idl
logview
mini-utils
  gcolorsel
  gfontsel
  gless
  gnome-run
  gpenguin
  grun
  gshutdown
  gsu
  guname
  gw
  idetool
notepad
splash

Well, no shit.  We are really letting everything in these days.

> Please don't get me wrong, it seems like a useful application (little
> rough around the edges, but that can be fixed), but does it belong in
> core GNOME?

Does it belong to the core GNOME to view your logs?  Or to look up words
in online dictionaries?  Or to create an image of your desktop?  I'd say
that viewing the size of your files on your disk at a glance has every
right to be on the core, until Nautilus provides the exact same
functionality.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--