Re: Baobab

Hi;

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 12:29 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:
> Hi Davyd
>
> Interesting to see that approach to portraying disk usage. Personally,
> however, I feel that anyone really wanting this kind of software would
> probably prefer to use something like Graphical Disk Map
> <http://gdmap.sourceforge.net/>.

Treemap view is supported by Baobab too, but it's not its major feature
- which is a nice integration with Nautilus and (now) with the Search
tool.

> As an outsider to this whole process, though, I'm not sure I totally
> understand why applications have to be bundled into packages of vaguely
> related software like this. Can't distributions make their own minds up?

First, do read the thread about the inclusion of Baobab:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-April/msg00112.html

The decision to add it to gnome-utils was due to the fact that Baobab is
a little utility, with a code base small enough not to require its own
package (it did have its own package, though, as it was already shipped
by Ubuntu and Debian before the inclusion); it was also actively
maintained at the time of inclusion (the latest release of gdmap is
dated December 2005).

The GNOME Utilities package is a small package that GNOME has kept since
the 1.x era (and before); it provides some application other than
baobab, like the screenshoter, the file search dialog, the dictionary
and the system log viewer, that are not sufficiently big to warrant
their own package but at the same time are considered part of the basic
offering of GNOME itself.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele (gnome-utils co-maintainer).

--