Re: Mac shipments up 12% [Was: focus!]

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 10:58 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Calum Benson wrote:
> > True up to a point, although MacOS in its various (and sometimes more
> > usable than current) guises has been around since before any of those,
> > and although you can't necessarily say it's "outlived" OS/2, BeOS,
> > Workbench or GEM[1], it's certainly left them eating considerable dust,
> > in terms of widespread adoption.
> >

> I mentioned this briefly before, but I wonder what percentage of Mac's
> audience has never been a question of 'switching' but is the
> publishing/graphics market they have had from the beginning - that they
> created, that Microsoft never had - if it's a large percentage, the
> historical frequency of 'switching' starts to look even lower.

So lets create our own market?!

What about embedded? There's a huge audience waiting for us.

To give you a number. A lot people know the Dreambox and its uses in te
satellite world. It comes with a Linux kernel and has framebuffer
support.

If I would say .. a government (which has an insane current economic
growth) is interested in bringing Digital Television over two-way
satellite to a huge population. And if I would say that the Dreambox,
being used in the setup, for could run an embedded version of GNOME,
using the framebuffer support GNOME has.

If just the right sales people at the companies involved (SES-Astra,
Newtec Cy, SES-Global,ST Microelectronics [F], Thomson, NDS) would
*KNOW* that GNOME is also about embedded, they certainly would consider
it. Yes.

Today, these people simply don't know that. I (a developer, a
consultant, in the field) has to tell them that. What if I'm not there
(for example at another company at another situation)?

Do you want to know how many millions of users the software that we at
Newtec are building, has to support (this is a per satellite count):
~30,000,000 per satellite for this specific government.

That's 10x10 in a few days Jeff.

Of course is our SATMODE implementation a demo at this moment. But go
figure. All governments are looking at this Digital Television thing.

Where's the GNOME marketing? When are going to SCREAM that our platform
is totally into embedded?

OLPC, PalmSource and Nokia are VERY nice references guys. Please use it!

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be