Mac shipments up 12% [Was: focus!]

<quote who="Jeff Waugh">

> <quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">
>
> > Actually I have to say we should stop idealizing Apple that much, they
> > are a company which basically has gone from being the desktop leader to
> > today being a fringe player. They have survived partly by clinging onto
> > a couple of niches like graphical design and to some degree education.
>
> That was true five years ago.

Good timing:

  Macintosh shipments were up 12 percent compared with last year, Apple said
  on Wednesday during its third-quarter earnings call.

  Macs accounted for 55 percent of Apple's revenue during the third quarter,
  ended July 1, said Peter Oppenheimer, the company's chief financial
  officer. Notebook shipments and revenue both increased by 61 percent, and
  Apple believes it doubled its share of the notebook market in retail
  channels, he said, citing data from research firm NPD.

  About half the Macs sold at Apple's own retail stores during the quarter
  were bought by people who had never owned a Mac before, Oppenheimer said.

  Gartner and IDC reported PC market share numbers on Wednesday, and overall
  shipment growth was only around 10 percent worldwide. Apple's 12 percent
  shipment growth outpaced the market during what is considered the slowest
  quarter of the year.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Macs_see_growth_spurt/0,2000061702,39264094,00.htm

- Jeff

            What did the sausage say to the tomato at breakfast?
               "There's not mushroom this morning, is there?"