Re: Mac shipments up 12% [Was: focus!]

On 7/20/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
<quote who="Luis Villa">

> Gartner has the overall PC market up 11% last quarter, so this isn't as
> impressive as it sounds.

> Still, the 4.6% overall market share in that article is the highest I've
> seen cited for Apple in years.

It's the growth and potential that worries me. :-)

They've had better software and better hardware than Windows for a
full five years, and have still not cracked 5% market share, so I
don't see why you're scared now- they've had good quarters before, and
they end up getting lost in the noise. This doesn't mean they suck,
but I think it does speak strongly to Havoc's point- just being
differentially better will not win big market share; we need to think
about how to change the game completely if we're going to 'win' in any
meaningful way- i.e., more than 5% market share.

Luis