Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Iain * wrote:

On 7/14/06, Darren Kenny <Darren Kenny sun com> wrote:

Mono and Python etc are all very good in their own way, but I really don't see
why they need to be part of the core GNOME desktop - this was why I wanted to
break down the GNOME desktop into various groupings - so ISVs, etc. can make
their own mind up about what they wish to depend upon.

They already can.
Don't like mono...don't ship mono applications.

None of the libraries will depend or use mono.

This is argument is moot and you know it - this isn't just about libra-
ries, this is also about application/applets etc, like the deskbar ap-
plet. While I don't have a particular issue with the deskbar applet in
se, since it's in no way essential, this serves as a possible example of
where your argument wouldn't hold (in case deskbar was something more
essential, like say the clock or taskbar switcher).

Also, your statement is false. Beagle uses mono, and it is considered
for inclusion (and I really wouldn't call searching 'optional' or non-
core).

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."