Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Joe Shaw wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 09:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
I don't use Beagle, and in fact I hope the alternate Tracker project
will solve this problem.
It already does - tracker uses a tiny 3-6 MB RAM and provides considerably faster indexing and search retrieval of results. I developed it for use on my 256MB notepad so its designed from scratch to be super memory efficient.

No offense, but Tracker has a fraction of the functionality of Beagle.
It indexes files, but it doesn't index email (with attachments),
addressbook and calendar entries, or instant messaging logs, all of
which I search for much more often than files.

Okay sorry didn't mean to annoy you - Im not trying to dig dirt on Beagle and I respect what you are doing. I'm sure you understand the reasons for tracker as I explained to you a year or so ago - I needed the extra power of a relational Db based system that could run on lower end systems and I did try and persuade you to go the Db route with beagle long before I started on tracker.

Tracker and Beagle are very different beasts but they only overlap in the indexing area.

All of those things you point out are coming but none of them should have a significant effect on tracker's memory usage.

Also note I did not mention Beagle's memory usage on my machine but only Tracker's

I also dont have any hostile intentions towards Beagle and would when and if tracker gets into gnome ensure there would be some abstraction with beagle. We need powerful search in Gnome and Tracker can help Beagle there via an abstraction layer so both projects will benefit.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/