Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 09:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > I don't use Beagle, and in fact I hope the alternate Tracker project
> > will solve this problem.
>
> It already does - tracker uses a tiny 3-6 MB RAM and provides
> considerably faster indexing and search retrieval of results. I
> developed it for use on my 256MB notepad so its designed from scratch to
> be super memory efficient.

No offense, but Tracker has a fraction of the functionality of Beagle.
It indexes files, but it doesn't index email (with attachments),
addressbook and calendar entries, or instant messaging logs, all of
which I search for much more often than files.

Of course, Tracker is ahead of Beagle in other ways, such as having a
persistent centralized data store, and its present memory usage is lower
than Beagle's.  But as I've said before, I don't feel like the memory
issues in Beagle are insurmountable, and to compare Tracker and Beagle's
present memory usage isn't exactly comparing on a level playing field.

Joe