Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Hi

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Steve Frécinaux wrote:

Iain * wrote:

I'm not really against having C# apps in the core (in fact I don't
really mind), what I'm more frightening about is having applications
that run all the time, using managed languages, and, as a consequence,
taking up a fairly large amount of memory, from the computer start to
the shutdown.

Think about it: having an application you run a short time do not really
impact on your available memory, so it's not a real issue on
"low-memory" system (like mine: 224 Megs are not much memory these
days), but long-running ones do.

Please read my previous emails. Designing everything in C will not help. Evolution, OpenOffice and Firefox are evidence that writing your app in C does not make it memory efficient. In the long term, a moving GC may be beneficial.

At some point, we also have to realize that users with less memory do need to make compermises. For example, such a user might want to choose not to use Beagle.

-- Ben