Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Andrew Cowie wrote:

> Which, to be honest, I feel makes this whole discussion a bit pointless.
>
> I realize that GNOME release engineering is holy ground, but don't you
> see? Everyone already ships Beagle. Which means they ship Mono. Which
> means it's a part of the GNOME desktop. fait accompli.

Not really. In fact, blessing an app in the desktop has the immediate
consequency that other apps can depend on it in a non-conditional way.
For instance, a few distros already ship beagle by default, but most
only ship it. And I just can't run beagle on my box, it eats up too much
memory. So if it was proposed for inclusion, including it would mean
that some Gnome apps would depend on it more or less inconditionally and
I couldn't run these apps anymore.

That's the kind of problem we want to avoid here.