Re: Performance (was Re: control-center 2.13.90 released)

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
Hi,
Do we have a general performance problem currently? My Fedora Rawhide
(FC5) desktop is slow as hell atm. I thought at first it was a
distribution/development edition issue, but talking to people running
Dapper at the office they are experiencing the same.
One example, starting Totem for the first time takes about 30 seconds on
my system now. Stopping and restarting totem multiple times lets me get
that down to around 8-10 seconds.
Christian
It'd be interesting if you could try changing your theme (I assume you are using Clearlooks) to Glider and seeing what difference that makes. The Glider theme uses the Smooth engine, which is not currently using cairo. Clearlooks on the other hand, is now using cairo almost exclusively. If there is a significant difference in speed then we may need to look at holding back cairo enabled gtk-engines in GNOME, at least until significant speed improvements are made to cairo.

-Thomas