Re: New modules in 2.14

Well, no library in the desktop can be relied upon to remain API or
ABI stable; that's the reason they are in the desktop.  The difference
with this lib, _if_ I remember correctly, is that those other libs in
the desktop were meant to be used by whoever wanted to use them,
whereas libmetacity-private was expected to not be used by anything
other than control-center (with the implication that if we make any
changes that breaks anything other than the control center, we just
don't care and won't consider it a bug).

Is it not similar to wnck, which mostly the panel uses?

It's fine to break applications and bindings, as long as they're aware of it. The only difference between control-center and say gazpacho is that
control-center is included in the desktop while gazpacho isn't.

To me the name metacity-private is just another way of saying
it's an unstable library and don't complain to us if we break your
application.

Of course, Elijah would have a better idea
of this. Perhaps the solution is to create a libmetacity that use
functions people may need to use, and a libmetacity-private to do
whatever it is doing now.

Actually, it'd be Havoc who'd probably need to comment here, as I'm
not certain I'm recalling correctly, I've never touched that lib, and
he'd need to be the one to say whether he's willing to support wider
use of it.

There are already other applications using it, eg monodevelop.
Of course, both gazpacho and monodevelop would prefer a window manager neutral way of drawing borders. Perhaps something for a future revision
of the ewmh specs.

Johan