Re: New modules in 2.14

On 1/17/06, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 22:56 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>
> > > So, I'm going a bit off-topic here, but I'm curious: what are these
> > > metacity python bindings for?
> >
> >   They wrap libmetacity-private.  I think Johan wants to draw windows
> > inside a scrolled window in Gazpacho GUI builder, and that library
> > supposedly allows one to use metacity's rendering engine to immitate
> > metacity frames.  But I gues you already know this better than me :)
> > That's all I know about the bindings and the library, I'm afraid.
> >
> >   I hope this is not a problem?..  libmetacity-private is a library
> > installed by a desktop module, hence it belongs in gnome-python-desktop,
> > I think.  These bindings were added before API/feature freeze.  And I do
> > expect to keep full control in the future of which bindings are added to
> > gnome-python-desktop as long as they wrap libraries of desktop modules.
>
> Given the name "libmetacity-private", I don't think it's a good idea to
> be shipping public bindings to it. I don't think you could rely on this
> library to remain API stable.

Well, no library in the desktop can be relied upon to remain API or
ABI stable; that's the reason they are in the desktop.  The difference
with this lib, _if_ I remember correctly, is that those other libs in
the desktop were meant to be used by whoever wanted to use them,
whereas libmetacity-private was expected to not be used by anything
other than control-center (with the implication that if we make any
changes that breaks anything other than the control center, we just
don't care and won't consider it a bug).

> Of course, Elijah would have a better idea
> of this. Perhaps the solution is to create a libmetacity that use
> functions people may need to use, and a libmetacity-private to do
> whatever it is doing now.

Actually, it'd be Havoc who'd probably need to comment here, as I'm
not certain I'm recalling correctly, I've never touched that lib, and
he'd need to be the one to say whether he's willing to support wider
use of it.