Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules

Hi,

--- Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 11:17 +0100, Chipzz wrote:
<snip>

> > A comment here which not only refers to gedit, but
> also to those other
> > apps which are creating plugins: do we actually
> have a standard consis-
> > tant cross-application framework for scripting?
>
> Why on earth would I want to drop the ability to
> actually make a python
> plugin, or a perl plugin, or a ruby plugin, or a
> ${WHATEVER} plugin and
> do it using something like VBA instead?
>
> With python or perl or ruby or haskell or scheme we
> have an entire
> language with its own entire framework (for perl,
> think CPAN) with its
> own community of developers.  VBA is some half-assed
> common denominator
> - which is not useful enough.
>
> Please, don't we just copy windows for the sake of
> copying it.  VBA is
> definitely *not* the way to go, WRT to "scripting";
> especially if we
> compare it with the solutions we do have.
>
> Ciao,
>  Emmanuele.
<snip>

I believe Chipzz was *not* suggesting that we adopt
VBA as a de-facto scripting language for Gnome.
Rather, I think he was suggesting that Gnome offer a
common plug-in framework or API into which all
applications can hook.  I.e. He is worried that each
Gnome application is coming up with its own plug-in
framework-- thus needlessly duplicating work.

(On the other hand, one could argue that plug-ins
should be built specifically for the needs of a
particular application, rather than being generic.)

For whatever it's worth...

Cheers!

~~~~~~~~~
dissertus scribendo latine videri volo.