Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 11:17 +0100, Chipzz wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Paolo Borelli wrote:
>
> > support disabled. That said we think that python support is a really
> > important feature and it's having a huge success (I have seen more
> > plugins in the last month than in the last two years). I'd love that
>
> A comment here which not only refers to gedit, but also to those other
> apps which are creating plugins: do we actually have a standard consis-
> tant cross-application framework for scripting?

Why on earth would I want to drop the ability to actually make a python
plugin, or a perl plugin, or a ruby plugin, or a ${WHATEVER} plugin and
do it using something like VBA instead?

With python or perl or ruby or haskell or scheme we have an entire
language with its own entire framework (for perl, think CPAN) with its
own community of developers.  VBA is some half-assed common denominator
- which is not useful enough.

Please, don't we just copy windows for the sake of copying it.  VBA is
definitely *not* the way to go, WRT to "scripting"; especially if we
compare it with the solutions we do have.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi - <ebassi gmail com>