Re: Special folders in gnome

<quote who="Murray Cumming">

> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 21:29 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Mattias Eriksson">
> >
> > > I know that this have been discussed in the past, but no solution was
> > > reached then. I hope it will be different this time.
> >
> > I strongly agree that we need a solution for this (something GConf
> > defined would be perfect for desktop/network administrators). Let's do
> > it for 2.16?
>
> Why do we need to tranlate the on-disk folder name of Templates if we
> don't need to translate the folder names of home, bin, and all of the bash
> commands? Why isn't it good enough to translate it in the user interface?

It's not so much about translation as configuration and known locations. For
instance, in Windows, I can change the 'My Documents' folder for each user
to point to a network location on a cluster filesystem. Stuff like that ends
up being incredibly useful. Plus, applications can use a known location
instead of guessing or just being stupid - ie. the 'Documents' folder can be
seen and used by all apps even though the path is actually /export/docs/jdub
instead of /home/jdub/Documents.

Known location support should *also* be designed to provide in-GUI (not
on-disk) translation.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

    "If I had an inch for every penis size spam I'd recieved..." - Luis
                                   Villa