Atomix [Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules]

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Vincent Untz wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:00:13 +0100
> From: Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules
>
> Hi all,
>
> Here's an attempt to sum up the current state of what looks like
> consensus about the proposed modules. It's an attempt, so I might be
> wrong :-)
>
> I'm not cross-posting, but input from translators and documentation
> writers is of course welcome.

>  + atomix: I don't remember seeing much discussion for this one. What do
> people think? Is Callum here? What do you think?

I like the game Atomix and the Gnome Atomix is quite good.

I have some criticisms of it none of which are show stoppers for playing
and enjoying Atomix but it would be better if Atomix met the same high
standards for accessibility, usability and documentation as other Gnome
applications.  Will it get more attention if it is not included?  I don't
know but it is a good application and deserves attention.  The situation
may have improved lots recently and I will have to check out a more recent
version so I'll have to double check but is it really ready yet?

Shame it wasn't proposed for inclusion in Gnome Games. or was it?  If I
recall correctly there was no mention of it on the Games list.  Atomix is
very much a game but there is certainly potential to heighten the
educational aspects of the game, and maybe it could form a new beachhead
and form the start of an education/learning category for Gnome, who knows.

I wonder what distributions will do to Atomix.  It has some advantags over
KAtomix but aside from my preference for Gnome I'd rate them about the
same.  The major difference seemed to be Gnome Atomix it had a level
builder but last time I checked it wasn't available (I suspect it hasn't
been available since the port to GTK2).  Also KAtomix has the advantage of
being bundled as part of the KDE other educational software
("edutainment") so I suspect Gnome Atomix would be pushed asied in mixed
distributions.  I suppose that is a non-issue from a Gnome point of view
but I'd like to see Gnome Atomix really shine and be significantly better
than KAtomix before being included in Gnome.

Maybe putting it in will give it the attention it deserves but I'd really
like to see better accessibility and documentation before including it.
Sorry, I'd really like to be more enthusiastic about Atomix.  I really
like it honest and it is great fun to plame but in my humble opinion it
needs more polish.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org