Re: GDFL - why is it bad? Debian could do better! (was: Re: Debian and the GFDL problem)

On 1/8/06, Andy Tai <atai atai org> wrote:
> Same for your attacks on the GFDL... "they have nothing
>  to do on a GNOME mailing list. Please bring this on another place or in
>  private mail."

I respectfully disagree.  There are those that feel that the GFDL is a
very poor choice and with what, at least to me, looks like solid
reasoning.  I do not use Debian or its derivatives, but I fully agree
with their sentiment on this issue -- meaning that I too feel that
this is a problem and one which affects everyone.  The easiest
solution appears to be asking copyright holders to dual license their
work.  However, I do agree that the discussion should probably be
moved to gnome-docs-list (or perhaps in contacting individual authors)
instead of continued here.  But it's hard to fault Josselin for trying
to correct misunderstandings (and in fact, I feel Josselin should get
bonus points for doing quite well at responding reasonably to
deliberately inflammatory (and partially off-topic) emails).

Just my $0.02,
Elijah