Re: gnome-screensaver

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 11:19 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 12:10 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > I see that both Ubuntu Dapper and Fedora Core 5 test 2 are shipping
> > with gnome-screensaver now.
> >
> > Having now used both of them, does it seem slow for anyone else? It
> > seems that something has gone astray once or twice and forced me to
> > have to change vt and kill the process to get my session back.
> >
> > I didn't manage to get anything useful debugging-wise from it, does
> > anyone know the story here?
> >
> > If we have a screensaver that you can't get away from, we should
> > consider not including this module during this release cycle.
>
>   I tested a couple of days ago.  At first I thought it was awesome.
>
>   Then one time, when I came back from lock screen, my whole X server
> suddenly started becoming extremely slow.  I mean, _really_ slow, like
> taking 5 seconds to draw a window.  During the process I kept an eye on
> CPU usage and it seemed the X server was not consuming any CPU (unless
> the system monitor applet was not redrawing), not disk IO either, it was
> just slow for some other reason.  Eventually I had to kill the X server.
> I tried restarting metacity first but it didn't help.
>
>   I am not sure gnome-screensaver is to be blamed for the above problem,
> but I strongly suspect it, and have since then uninstalled it.

I'm almost sure it's related to fade in/out.

I have the same problem with xscreensaver BUT THANKFULLY, since
xscreensaver is not as HIGified as gnome-screensaver, one could remove
fade in/out entirely and easily.

Now it doesn't lock up, and I removed gnome-screensaver until further
notice from y system.

I believe it may be trying to fade TOO SMOOTHLY...

Rui