Re: gnome-screensaver

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 12:10 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> I see that both Ubuntu Dapper and Fedora Core 5 test 2 are shipping
> with gnome-screensaver now.
>
> Having now used both of them, does it seem slow for anyone else? It
> seems that something has gone astray once or twice and forced me to
> have to change vt and kill the process to get my session back.
>
> I didn't manage to get anything useful debugging-wise from it, does
> anyone know the story here?
>
> If we have a screensaver that you can't get away from, we should
> consider not including this module during this release cycle.

  I tested a couple of days ago.  At first I thought it was awesome.

  Then one time, when I came back from lock screen, my whole X server
suddenly started becoming extremely slow.  I mean, _really_ slow, like
taking 5 seconds to draw a window.  During the process I kept an eye on
CPU usage and it seemed the X server was not consuming any CPU (unless
the system monitor applet was not redrawing), not disk IO either, it was
just slow for some other reason.  Eventually I had to kill the X server.
I tried restarting metacity first but it didn't help.

  I am not sure gnome-screensaver is to be blamed for the above problem,
but I strongly suspect it, and have since then uninstalled it.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.