Re: breakage caused by removed icons from gnome-icon-theme

Il giorno lun, 06/02/2006 alle 13.09 -0500, Rodney Dawes ha scritto:
> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 11:15 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 11:00 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:

<snip>

> for, although it is not yet complete. However, by GNOME 2.16, I hope to
> be able to call the base spec complete and 1.0, and guarantee API/ABI
> stability with it.

Don't forget that a11y icon themes should be ported too. I just updated
bug #319041: now the SVG B&W theme is based on icon naming standard and
it's using the build framework from tango.

>  The current situation is not an API. It is a
> clusterbomb of random icons that were named a certain way, because a
> developer wrote a feature, and decided it needed an icon, and picked a
> name at random, or used an icon already in the set, that doesn't really
> make sense for the item they associated with it. However, all the work
> I've been doing with the spec and cleaning up gnome-icon-theme is to
> get all this fixed, so we can actually do things The Right Way.

Issue: How to add an icon for Podcasts

Details: Jimmac has a cool podcast icon here[1], designed for banshee (I
don't know if it's yet used and/or installed by banshee). This icon is
really useful for Rhythmbox. Let's me assume that a valid name for icon
naming standard is "remote-podcast" under Places categories. Let's me
also assume that this icon is not well fitted in base icon theme, so it
should be provided by applications. Moreover a KDE app could like to
use/provide/install the same icon.

My Questions:
     1. who should install the icon? Rhythmbox? Banshee? Both? An
        external *-icon-theme-extra package?
     2. where this extra-but-common[2] icon should be installed? In
        "hicolor"? In "gnome" icon theme for GNOME apps and "kde" for
        KDE apps?

[1] http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=banshee
[2] note there are also extra-but-unique icons. For example the banshee
logo, installed under hicolor. This it right.