Re: control-center 2.13.90 released

On 2/3/06, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:
> On 2/3/06, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 23:39 +0000, Iain * wrote:
> > > Part of that second is a 300ms timeout before nautilus does anything,
> > > to let GConf change all the values.
> > >
> > > See libnautilus-private/nautilus-directory-background.c:328
> > >
> > hmm, can't we just use a ChangeSet and do all changes at once and thus
> > remove the timeout?
>
> Apparently we do, this is the comment just above the timeout
>
> /*
>          * Wallpaper capplet changes picture, background color and
> placement with
>          * gconf_change_set API, but unfortunately, this operation is
> not atomic in
>          * GConf as it should be. So we update background after small
> timeout to
>          * let GConf change all values.          */
>
> Is this a bug in GConf? Was it a bug which has since been fixed? Can
> it be fixed? Should it be?

Isn't this a bug in the capplet?  Why in the world should it be
working in terms of change sets?  If I change the image, the
background should be updated.  Immediately.  If I also want to change
from fill screen to tiling or whatever, fine.  That should also
update, but instantly.  I shouldn't have to do a bunch of stuff to
multiple things and then say "Ah, okay, I'm done twiddling stuff now
so go ahead and update."

However, I think I finally understand why Rodney was claiming that
this was a group change operation and was invoking the second point of
the HIG instead of just the timing issue.  But it looks like he just
inherited buggy code, and that it was the change_set stuff that should
have been questioned rather than the instant apply.  IMVAO anyway.