Re: control-center 2.13.90 released

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 06:27:33PM -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 17:49 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > > From: Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au>
> > > At this stage in the game, I think we should look at doing three
> > > things:
> > >  (1) reverting the UI change, it is a bandaid fix to a deeper
> > >      problem;
> >
> > If the hope is to change it back when things get faster then this current
> > change is inflicting unnecessary software churn on users.
> >
> > As I'm on older crappy hardware I guess I should sit out this release
> > cycle entirely as an even slower Gnome would probably kill it.
> >
> > >  (2) shipping GNOME 2.14 with gtk-engines 2.6, leaving people who
> > >      giving us more time to optimise gtk-engines/cairo/X
> >
> > I expect this would be unpopular with developers (especialy dobey).
> > How many developers have really crappy hardware?  (ie > 3 years old)
>
> Developers be damned.  Let's take care of our users.
>
> Whizbang flashiness is great, but if we can't deliver
> it quickly on moderate hardware, then it needs to sit
> on the sidelines until we can.  My machine is around
> two years old.  It is not a crappy machine.  I had to
> handle it anymore.

Shaun has nailed it here. We should also consider our third-party
developers. We're talking about people who have no interaction with
the community and have simply been complaining about the degrading
quality of GNOME releases (these people do exist).

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA