Re: control-center 2.13.90 released

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:23:36AM -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> > As I'm on older crappy hardware I guess I should sit out this release
> > cycle entirely as an even slower Gnome would probably kill it.
> >
> > >  (2) shipping GNOME 2.14 with gtk-engines 2.6, leaving people who
> > >      giving us more time to optimise gtk-engines/cairo/X
> >
> > I expect this would be unpopular with developers (especialy dobey).
> > How many developers have really crappy hardware?  (ie > 3 years old)
>
> I could care less what version of gtk-engines we ship. It's not the
> problem, and I don't use any of the engines in it anyway. I doubt that
> the problem is even the fact that gtk+ uses cairo. Cairo can fill a
> full-screen rectangle on my crappy 3 year old Radeon 7500 in about
> 0.0007 seconds. That's also with X 6.8.2. On my Radeon FireGL X1 at a
> lower resolution, on X 6.9.0, it takes about 0.007 seconds for the same
> test case code that Federico pointed me to, to run. That's significantly
> slower, for a significantly better video card. However, in both cases,
> the amount of time taken, is nowhere near the amount of time it takes to
> actually render the background. I don't know why gtk-engines was even
> mentioned in this thread, or why Davyd alluded to it being the cause of
> the slowness, on his blog.

There are known issues with Cairo and doing large exposes and how is
breaks XAA. This is why minimising windows for many people is now
mind-bendingly slow, as is coming back from screensave. Some people
have started shipping a workaround in their X.org configs I
understand (to turn off XAA offscreen pixmaps) and I don't know if
EXA is affected.

I don't have any details beyond this, you will need to talk to a
graphics person.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA