Re: control-center 2.13.90 released

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Shaun McCance wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:27:33 -0600
> From: Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: control-center 2.13.90 released
>
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 17:49 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > > From: Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au>
> > > At this stage in the game, I think we should look at doing three
> > > things:
> > >  (1) reverting the UI change, it is a bandaid fix to a deeper
> > >      problem;
> >
> > If the hope is to change it back when things get faster then this current
> > change is inflicting unnecessary software churn on users.
> >
> > As I'm on older crappy hardware I guess I should sit out this release
> > cycle entirely as an even slower Gnome would probably kill it.
> >
> > >  (2) shipping GNOME 2.14 with gtk-engines 2.6, leaving people who
> > >      giving us more time to optimise gtk-engines/cairo/X
> >
> > I expect this would be unpopular with developers (especialy dobey).
> > How many developers have really crappy hardware?  (ie > 3 years old)
>
> Developers be damned.  Let's take care of our users.

(Yeah but I know Dobey is going to hate me for complaining and he did the
hard work so I should try and be nice about it.)

To rephrase what I said earlier if the user interface is being changed
with the expectation of chaning it back for the following release of Gnome
then it is is likely to cause unnecesary confusion.

> Whizbang flashiness is great, but if we can't deliver
> it quickly on moderate hardware, then it needs to sit
> on the sidelines until we can.  My machine is around
> two years old.  It is not a crappy machine.  I had to
> handle it anymore.

All I know is Gnome is not yet a more responsive solution than Windows
2000 on the same machine.  There are still a variety of reasons to prefer
Gnome though.

--
Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/