Re: GNOME git repositories?

2006/12/27, Danilo Šegan <danilo gnome org>:
I am against having more than one way of accessing source code for
GNOME source code.  It's as simple as that.  For the benefit of
translators, documentors, artists, and heck, even developers (imagine
this: to install GNOME, get gnome-panel using bzr, gtk+ and glib using
git, nautilus using SVN, ...).

Or imagine installing other dependencies (like cairo) from git. That
would be a mess.

Oh, wait!

I think the existing build systems (jhbuild, garnome) cope with the
situation relatively well and if not, they should be fixed. And for
non-developer(ie. coder) input there really should be a more
user-friendly interface anyway, regardless of what SCM is in the
bottom (and it shouldn't matter, this is open source right? We can
make things work together!).

So, push GNOME to SVN now, create something for
translators/documentors that they can push changes with and then allow
projects to migrate to SCM close to their heart and that fits that
particular project.

The only weak link left is the burden imposed on the admin team. I
don't have an answer to that.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi