Re: script folders

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Toby Smithe wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:20:59 +0000
> From: Toby Smithe <toby smithe gmail com>
> To: Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM>
> Cc: desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: script folders
>
> On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 11:39 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 12:16 +0100, David Prieto wrote:
> >
> > > With script folders I could create a folder named "1280x800", and linked
> > > to a script used to resize images to that size. Any files copied to it
> > > would be automatically resized AND stored in the folder.
> > >
> > > What do you think about it?
> >
> > The Mac has had this feature for years... probably need to check that
> > Apple hasn't patented it :/

There was something about checking for patents actually increasing
your liability and how it was better to not even waste your time
looking.

> Well, assuming they haven't (bloody software patents) this is a
> brilliant idea and we *need* it! Of course, we'd also need someone to
> code it...

I'd really like to see some patented features that can optionally be added
to Gnome.

Being able to tell people you cannot have this because your politicians
allowed software patents would make the situation real for them -  real
ridiculous - oh wait, I'm them, my politicians suck.

Still, I'd hate to see Gnome reduced to the lowest common denominator
because of software patents in a few misguided countries.

--
Alan