Re: Replacing control center menus

Jon Nettleton wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 17:33 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
On Ter, 2006-12-12 at 11:51 -0500, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 15:26 +0100, �ienne Bersac wrote:

A menu longer that 10 entry is very painful. Often, Gnome properties
menu is about 20 entry when you install some additionnal softwares.
Gnome is the only desktop which keep using this outdated
"control-center". A control center is far more usable and accessible
(especially if it provide search).
This also could mean that we have too many capplets.
  Agreed.

  But even if we can't get away from a multitude of capplets, there's an
alternative solution: add an extra level of preferences "categories", as
we do for the applications menu.

Four clicks to get to a preference window? Sounds a bit excessive.

We had the discussion about the number of capplets already on the control center list. It was generally agreed that it would be nice to merge some of them, but (as far as I know) all except one of the suggestions had problems. And after that, the biggest issue is finding some developers with enough time to actually do the work.

I do think using a shell window is easier than a menu, especially when it has search and filter features. It is also likely to be more familiar to users coming from other desktops.

But what is being used for the search functionality?  Beagle? Time to go
buy a super-computer so I can change the sensitivity of my mouse :-)  I
know that search/tag/filtering is the hot topic, but how is that better
here?

Please dont dismiss this important technology because one implementation is currently sub-optimal for your needs

You dont need a super computer or tons of ram or Mono/Java (or any other VM) to run search/tag/filtering - just use a sensible search engine such as tracker which is written in C and designed for running on low end machines (every other competing OS search system I know of is written in a native language as well).

Of course any search solution used here should be open ended but I expect the default should be "no search" until at least tracker gets into GNOME :)

(Tracker is still under proposal for Gnome 2.18)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/