Re: Contribution

Calum Benson wrote:

On 30 Aug 2006, at 13:30, Maxim Udushlivy wrote:
.
That is the problem: those checklists become constraints that hinder UI
innovation. As a programmer (artist to some extent) I want to learn
common sense principles that possibly would allow me to implement
interface in a more productive way than guidelines authors may think of
- and not to loose my personality by just following templates.

The HIG provides many of those principles too, and we actually made a point of putting them at the front of the document, rather than the back. Like many things in the HIG, it could do with a refresh, though.

Well, perhaps this dispute is in fact an "innovation vs tradition" philosophical conflict :) If this is true, there must be a place for both; and HIG's should exist, but only as recommendations, not as constraints. And a note about certification - all obvious HIG guidelines (checklists) I think should be moved from HIG to Gnome certification standard as "must" items - similar to those in Fedora: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines

Windows programmers manage to create successful applications without
guidelines.

Hardly.. the Windows guidelines are the thickest ones on my bookshelf:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwue/html/welcome.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Resources/windowsxp/default.mspx

This is not a reply to my sentence ;) Even if guidelines exist that does not mean they are widely used.

I disagree with HIG existence (more below) - but I suppose
my opinion is not very important here ;)

If you remember the mess GNOME was becoming before the guidelines existed, your opinion may be a little different :)

Arrived two years ago, so cannot compare... but may be it's just a developers' professional growth, not tied to HIG's in any way?

So here is that principle that I think make Google successful: reduce
number of UI controls and expand application functionality while
preserving UI/functionality coherency. I think that consumer electronics
inherently follow this principle (TV, video recorders, phones, etc.)

Yet video recorders and phones have historically had some of the worst UIs imaginable... so there must be more to it than that.

You commented an illustration, not the principle itself ;) The principle I expressed is in fact a modern GUI cornerstone! (oops...)

Some thoughts about being a Gnome application...
I remember there was such a thing on Windows as application
certification. Perhaps it was not very useful on Windows but Gnome may
adopt this process.

It's already being discussed; feel free to add your thoughts to http://live.gnome.org/GnomeCertification.

My main thought about Gnome is very general: too much bureaucracy and politics, not enough technology and real activity ;)