Re: hal and jhbuild

On 8/21/06, Rob Bradford <rob robster org uk> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 22:03 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 8/20/06, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> And to stop depending on cvs versions of freedesktop.org modules
> except perhaps in very specific exceptions-to-the-rule cases (cairo?)
> that get proposed on d-d-l or something like that.

Maybe, but maybe not. A policy of only depending on released modules
might help encourage frequent, dependable releases (release early,
release often?). Obviously too much pressure to release can lead to a
lower quality but how does that compare to CVS versions...

Encouraging frequent, dependable releases is perhaps part of the
issue, but your response seems to imply that we should depend on the
newest versions of these modules and that frequent releases are
necessary for them.  That implication is pretty much what I was
arguing against.  I would like us to move to just depending on
distributor provided versions (especially in the cases of dbus and
hal).  That may not yet be possible, but we ought to be able to curb
our insane dependencies at least a little bit by specifying concrete
versions of such modules that Gnome modules are allowed to depend upon
for a certain release cycle (with perhaps some wiggle room to allow us
to bump to a later release if important issues come up).

Just my $0.02 anyway,
Elijah