Re: hal and jhbuild

On S� 2006-08-19 at 18:57 -0600, Brent Smith wrote:
> I'm going to commit a change to freedesktop.modules to checkout hal from
> the tag "HAL_0_5_7_1" and add a patch to jhbuild to fix the two
> instances where dbus_connection_close() should be used.
>
> Unless anyone has any objections...

  I think GNOME developers that are maintaining modules listed in the
GNOME moduleset should have a clear obrigation to keep their modules
buildable at all times, no matter what.  I don't mean maintainers need
to constantly build the whole GNOME stack, but if someone offers a patch
to make it build in GNOME it is just irresponsible if the maintainer
doesn't apply the patch or equivalent fix in a timely fashion, because
the failure of one module often makes the whole GNOME stack unbuildable
and blocks the work of potentially dozens of developers.

  I'm not sure what happened in this particular case, but this failure
has existed for a long time (weeks?); it should have been fixed a long
time ago.

  Maybe we need a set of written policies for this sort of thing...

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic